Monday, September 05, 2016

Going Deeper

     Have you ever watched the movie City Slickers? The plot is about a man going through a mid-life crisis who hates his job, wonders what his life amounts to, and goes off to "find himself" with a few friends doing a cattle drive (even though he's a city guy). The movie is far from a Christian film, and honestly, it's been too long since watching it to know if I should recommend it or not, but the lesson he learns and his statement to his wife at the end is the point of today's post. At the end, he learns from a trail boss Curly that the secret to life is to find one thing that becomes your purpose - just one. It should be something you're made to do, something you can excel at, something important to you, and something to focus on. The line when he gets back and greets his wife is where I'm at right now regarding my spiritual life (bible studying/reading the word/Women's Ministry/leading my small group, praying, and living my life as an example to others to draw them closer to God).  She expects him to say he's going to look for a new job but instead he says, "I'm not going to get a new job, I'm just going to do my job BETTER." That's how I feel. I don't need to reinvent myself, or change my world turning it all upside-down doing new things, or following some 10 step to-do list.  I just need to do a better job at what I've already been purposed to do.

     I have known for a long time, about 20 years, that I wanted to lead in women's ministry. I also knew I had, and still have, a lot to learn before I'm ready for that. Actually, I hope I never stop learning how to serve women better. I found a planner from around 1995. In it, I wrote that one day I wanted to lead in women's ministries. Here's the funny part:  at the time, I had NEVER been to a bible study, NEVER been involved in a small group of any kind, and barely knew what was in the bible. I'd only been a Christian for about 16 years, but most of that was busy with working, getting married, moving to AZ & back to NH, raising my sister and our first child, and helping my in-laws with their business. I don't even know where that would've come from - well, obviously from
God, but why would I even THINK that was something I could do? Crazy, right?!

     Now I've taught women's bible studies, written bible studies & devotionals & online-published articles for women, headed up small groups, raised 3 kids in the faith, and donated a carload of stuff on a yearly basis to a women's shelter run by a Catholic group in our area. That's not to say I've done "all these wonderful things". Quite the opposite. It's to say that even though I've had no idea what I'm doing, God has been able to work through me, in spite of my flaws, to reach other women for His glory -  and that's a miracle in itself!

     In this next phase of my life, it's becoming clear that I am to actively pursue a much deeper relationship with God, with Jesus, with other women, calling on the Holy Spirit's help, to reach many more women than ever before. I don't know how many - could be dozens, or hundreds, or eventually thousands. I don't care how many it is, I just have a renewed, burning desire to help women wherever they're at, meet their needs, and help them. I don't care if they're Christ, Christians who've gotten on track, non-believers, Athiests, or Jewish women who have never encountered the real Jesus. I just want to encourage and love on them. I truly believe this is my purpose. It's what I was created for. It's all I want to do. And I can't wait til God's ready to get started.

     Hope you find your purpose by going deeper with God in your own life. May He answer your questions, bring others along side you to guide you, and fill you with His spirit to achieve greater and bigger things. Have a great week.

No comments: